- This event has passed.
Housing Affordability and Zoning
July 17, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Housing Affordability and Zoning presented by ErikKronberg of Kronberg Urbanists + Architects and Yonina Gray ofReinvestment Fund
“Cities across America are suffering from a Disease.That Disease is Exclusionary Land Use, and the primary form of that sickness isSingle Family Only Zoning. The major symptom of the disease?Unaffordability.”
In this presentation we’ll learn how Single Family onlydesignation stifles the ability to make inclusive, resilient and affordableplaces to live.
- a brief history of how zoning became the legalized means of separating people based on race and income
- how Single Family only zoning leads to low variety, less flexibility and economic burden to municipalities and their residents
- current national housing needs (only 25% of households are parents with children at home)
- how a variety of housing options/land uses increases tax revenue
- housing choice defined
- how to achieve housing choice